My Future

Education Opportunities


Foster Care Tuition Waiver

In 2000, the West Virginia Legislature enacted a law called HB-4784. It allows eligible youth in foster care to receive free tuition if attending a West Virginia public college or university.

Who is eligible?
With some limitations, the tuition waiver program is available to ANY youth who:

  • graduated from high school or passed the High School Equivalency examination while in the legal custody of the State DHHR;
  • was in family foster care or residential care for at least one year immediately before graduation;
  • applies for the free tuition within two years of graduating from high school or passing the High School Equivalency exam;
  • has been accepted to a West Virginia public college or university;
  • applies for other student financial aid, not student loans, following federal financial aid rules, including the Pell Grant.

What is not covered?
Room and board and the cost of books are not covered.

Do you have to apply?
Yes. You must continue to meet academic goals set by the West Virginia college or university you are attending to keep your free tuition.

Where do you apply?
Apply at the financial aid office of the college or university. A letter verifying your eligibility signed by DHHR management will be required. For assistance, contact the MODIFY with CED program at 866-720-3605.

This program is possible because of a partnership between the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Bureau for Children and Families and the Center for Excellence in Disabilities.

Chafee Education &Training Vouchers

Chafee Education and Training Vouchers for It’s My Move can help with expenses connected to going to a college, university or vocational school.

Who is eligible?

  • Youth adopted or finalized legal guardianship from foster care after age 16 years old
  • Youth who aged out of foster care thru the age of 20
  • Youth placed in legal guardianship

What does it pay for?

  • Tuition – college or vocational school
  • Room and board
  • Books
  • Fees
  • Supplies
  • Transportation

Do you have to apply each year?
Yes. You must maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average and complete your course work. Costs are covered until age 23 if you are enrolled and making satisfactory progress at least one semester before your 21st birthday.

Where do you apply?
Interested youth should contact the MODIFY with CED program at:
(304) 558-6067
or toll free (866) 720-3605.