Every person is composed of body, mind, and spirit.
But we usually just take care of the "body." It is important
to take care of your "whole" self. Here are a few tips.
Top Ten Things You Can Do
To Keep Yourself Happy
- Spend time with people you like.
- Get outside in the sun everyday if possible.
- Get enough rest.
- Volunteer or join an organization.
- Don't worry too much.
- Don't smoke or use drugs.
- Exercise to relieve stress and improve
- Spend time with pets.
- Learn about good food and eat it.
- Balance work, study and play.
- "Know some joy in every day." (Nicholas
Hobbs – The Troubled and Troubling Child).
USDA Food Pyramid
- Eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables per day.
- Drink water – up to 8 glasses a day.
- Snack wisely.
- Try cooking instead of eating out – it can be
healthier and cheaper.
- Eat foods you like, but know serving sizes
– be careful of "super-sized" portions.
Most people do not think about finding a doctor
until they need one. Usually they are in a big
hurry like when you are hurt or suddenly feel ill.
Finding a good doctor is very important so start
now before you need one.
- If you are using the WV Medical Card, it is
important that you know your community
and list potential health care providers before
you need them (for example, getting sick!)
- Contact the County WV Department of
Health & Human Resources to find out which
medical providers take the WV Medical Card
(doctors, dentists, eye doctors, counselors,
- Contact the County Health Department –
they offer medical services and referrals.
- If you are covered under private insurance,
contact the insurance agent to make sure you
fully understand how your insurance works
(how much coverage you have and what your
financial responsibility may be, etc.)
When you find medical professionals you are
comfortable with, keep a list of:
- Physician, Dentist (and other) names,
numbers and locations.
- Any medications you take on a regular basis
– prescription and over-the-counter.
- Mental Health Provider contact information.